Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Re-loving"

Sometimes its difficult to learn how to fall in love again with something that's changed. Whether it be your small hometown that bursts into a city, a refuge that becomes a prison, a friendship that drifts into indifference, a lover who you discover was only part-time, or the weather that ruins a delightful picnic, change is uncomfortable and its shocking. Where's the cue? The Kodak moment? The gallant soundtrack? When something changes, humankind stands there alone, confused or in denial, looking back towards the West horizon, waiting for the colors to change, or even the sun to reverse its tracks in the sky. We want to take it back, perhaps cater to the status quo, what we know to be comfortable, or even relive the glory days!

But what we forget is that with change comes new opportunities. Opportunities to right a wrong, to live larger, think bigger, yet also calibrate our dreams to new realities. Instead of glaring into the dusk, waiting for the sun, we must remember to try navigating by the stars!

I've been in Jordan for exactly six weeks today. Least to say there's been a whirlwind of change since the morning I flew in from Zimbabwe and stepped out of the taxi, smack dab into the chaos of downtown Amman. Now that the honeymoon phase is over (and the fact that I've acknowledge that is good), and am learning how to deal with the day-to-day living, I'm in the process of learning to love Jordan for more than the thrills and exciting adventures that characterized my first impressions. Kind of like in a real relationship, right? ;) Seriously! Jordan and I have been on a few exciting first dates, but now it's been long enough now to begin witnessing the multifaceted complexities of the nation's character. You better believe that despite its beloved King and its reputation for being moderate within the Middle East, it still picks its nose when it thinks no one is looking and leaves the toilet seat up when I'm not around. And while it might be easier to just dump Jordan for Syria or Lebanon, I'm too curious as to what Jordan might reveal about itself to quit now! Besides, Jordan  has already taught me that even on the days where the world wobbles a bit on its axis, I'm pretty capable in balancing things out... :)

In any case, down to business. So many stories to tell in so little time!

Studying through CIEE's Culture and Language Program is going well. Arabic classes are intense but well worth the pain in my head ("rasee"), haha! I'm enrolled in Beginning I with Dr. Muna, a lively, kind, and delightfully funny professor who, always wrapped in colorful scarves and a cheerful demeanor, threatens to eat us if we don't memorize vocabulary. :) She is probably the best language teacher I've ever had, and is helping me not only learn to read, write and speak Arabic, but stifle the Spanish that keeps pushing my brain around with a baseball bat. My classmates are really cool too, and we're pretty much a big family. Us first year Arabic kids have to stick together! Its an intimidating world out there, full of fast arabezi-speaking taxi drivers, and host-family "discussions" (aka. arguments) that threaten to tear the house down. But of course, we all love the thrill and encourage each other to practice as much as we can. Overall, it couldn't be a better learning environment/atmosphere. This is EXACTLY what I wanted. Now all I need is a little patience with myself and a lot of practice in order to become somewhat competent in speaking comfortably by the end of the semester. Three months and counting...but I will do it (and I have a massive stack of flashcards already to prove it)!

Also, this past weekend, all 135 CIEE students bailed out of class early on Thursday and headed out for an epic weekend adventure! Although it was my second tour, I found it nice to return to Wadi Rum, Aqaba, and Petra, and share it with my amazing new friends. I can't even begin to say how much I enjoy the people I've befriended, and the adventures I now get to share with them. I think my time here will go by quicker than I ever imagined.



     

        

No comments:

Post a Comment