Monday, December 5, 2011

The Freezing Inferno (& other stories)

I may not live in Garrison Kellior's Minnesotan paradise of Lake Woebegone, but I'm wearing my fleece lined spandex under my jeans, along with three shirts, a fleece hoodie, scarf and a pea coat (like Randy in A Christmas Story, "I can't put my arms down!") Andddd, it gets worse. I hate to admit it, but Heidi and I camped out in front of the oven a few days ago, turning the dial to 500 degrees and putting our faces and hands on the edge of the open door, smiling contentedly. The scalding waves of heat felt heavenly, well, because it's cold here at the Inferno (pardon the pun...or don't).  

Oregon State Capitol, Salem OR - As viewed from Ford Hall
That being said, it's the last week of classes before finals and campus is alive with the caffeinated buzz of Willamette students writing essays and studying for exams. It's hard to believe that this semester is almost over! Only a few essays and a presentation stand in between me and my winter break. Next semester will bring thesis... and (gulp!) graduation. But as always, I'm taking it a day at a time. And frankly, I'm always excited about new horizons. 

Thankfully, the cold weather has brought us some beautiful skies that are so striking and clear, that the world feel infinite, bleeding into the universe like the new bra that turns everything in your washing machine bright pink. The orange, crimson, and gold leaves were blown away in the last storm, leaving the trees starkly naked. All the leaf blower fanatics had a party the next day, sparking their obnoxious machines to life and blowing leaves in one direction only to have a light wind scatter them again. I feel like Sisyphus would have a laugh if he could observe one of my neighbors, who did leaf duty everyday for nearly two weeks. Unfortunately, getting "rid" of the leaves in his yard meant blowing them all under Heidi's suburban, which we didn't discover until Thanksgiving (and who goes to complain to their neighbors during Thanksgiving? exactly.) In any case, all we need now is a blizzard to envelop campus, to soften the ever-clutching grip of academics on students' brains and bodies. I know I'd appreciate a good snow ball fight. Oh, and don't forget making makeshift sleds out of Goudy trays... :D

Morning fog, looking across the Quad toward the Clocktower - from Eaton Hall
This week Willamette held its 15th Annual Star Tree Lighting Ceremony, which is easily my favorite Bearcat tradition (not including the annual Prospie Day body-painted streaker run in the spring). I missed it last year during my time abroad and almost missed it AGAIN this year because of some conflicting schedule issues. But, I made things work, and was able to nibble on cookies, listen to the choir sing carols, and join the countdown until the five huge sequoias, the tallest on ANY university campus in the United States, were lit up with twinkling color. I then had to run back to Smith Auditorium to play in the Christmas concert which we put on for free for the Salem community. While  "The 12 BeBots of Christmas" weren't featured this year, Grant still donned one of his traditional "ugly sweaters" to conduct the band, and a flute octet played an arrangement of "All I Want for Christmas (Is You)." The band of course played Anderson's Sleigh Ride, and finished the concert with an audience sing-a-long carol piece.

The Star Trees - from the Quad
After the concert I met up with Peter, and we ended up justifying a dinner at Adam's BBQ! Whenever I eat there, I never fail to smear half of what I order on my hands and face. Yet, between mouthfuls of pulled pork and fried cornbread (hey, we're rowers lol) and later snuggling up and watching Love Actually together,  it was wonderful to put aside the hustle and bustle of life for the evening for good food, good conversation, and lots of laughs. Oftentimes, life is twice as fun when you get to share it with someone.

That hustle and bustle however cannot wait forever. I have to start working tonight on the final essays due over the next few days. But at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. After all, it's only the end of the beginning. There's so much more to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment