Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Commitment-phobe's Dilemma

One word: "commitment-phobe." If you don't know what I'm talking about, Urbandictionary provides an artful definition that may prove helpful.

Commitment-phobia is a thing that plagues my generation, and is embodied in numerous forms from relationships to casual arrangements in which people are "committed" to something, but only until something better comes along. Seeing it positively, I call commitment-phobia, "being flexible." My parents frustratingly call it "rude" and "inconsiderate."

Either way, I'm sure this not-so-rare disorder probably includes you.

And it definitely means me.

Exhibit A - the stereotypical model  
Although have no fear! This will not be a post about romantic endeavors gone awry (despite the abundance of material), nor will it be one complaining about people's inability to live up to their word. These would all be much too serious topics that would take away from the cheeky demeanor that has engulfed me at the moment.

Rather, this is a post about stickers - the bane of a slightly OCD, commitment-phobic college student, dealing with the closest epitome to a vow that I can comprehend at this stage in life.

This reflection stems from the fact that I got my new beautiful blue Nalgene in the mail today and have been hoarding stickers to plaster all over it. I've thought out the design...but therein lies the problem - I have to actually stick the stickers on the waterbottle.  Cue internal chaos:

"Nooooooooooooooo!!!! WHAT IF I MESS IT UP?! The bottle and the stickers will be ruined FOREVER! ahhhhhh!"

Exhibit B: the standard model
Overlooking my melodramatic enactments, here's the funny thing - I was describing this dilemma to my friend Matt, who I convinced to sit down and chat with me over a vanilla latte, and over the course of the three minute story-telling, numerous different people around us all jerked their heads over attentively, or began nodding somberly to themselves. I even got a few "OMGS TOTALLY!" from the random girl sitting next to us who felt so moved by my story that she joined the discussion.


Conclusion?

Stickers are a perfect metaphor for the many decisions we make in life. You can plan things out as much as you want, or you can make things up as you go. But one thing is for certain: you have to eventually peel the backs off the stickers in order to use them - an act that is apparently incredibly traumatic for my commitment-phobic generation.

And the question I always fall back on every time I learn something new about humanity, specifically Americans: We let these indecisive people (ourselves) vote?? All those "undecideds" unable to make a decision between the lesser of two evils until the last minute determine the fate of our country?

No wonder the world is going to hell in a hand-basket - we're too paralyzed by the potential that we might make the wrong decision or *gasp* FAIL that we don't take any action at all. We freeze right as we're about to stick the sticker, check the box, or take the first pencil stroke on a blank canvas.

It's that "this is it," moment that we should live for, take pride in, and feel good about. Whatever happens, that decision was ultimately yours, and as such have proven your ability to think and act not only for yourself, but acknowledge your impact on others.

Reclaim your word. Make it powerful. Make it decisive. Make it considerate. Make it true.

Phew! Time for me to fend off my own fears and plaster my waterbottle or risk looking like a hypocrit - the worst possible fate.  Me: 1           Commitment-phobe me: 0

Glad I got that over with ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment