Saturday, July 17, 2021

Mali: the prologue.

Well, hello again! I'm "dusting off" this blog for another adventure of a lifetime. Next week, Gie and I are headed to Mali, West Africa - a trip many years in the making. 


Life has been a whirlwind since the last time I wrote. I'm happily married. I finished nursing school and am entering my second year as a critical care nurse in a local hospital.  We've survived 2020 and the Covid pandemic (so far). All those big dreams I wrote about and agonized over in that little grass hut in Mozambique have come to pass. And now, I'm gazing toward the horizon of the next adventure - getting to know the life, language, culture, and customs of my husband's country. Most importantly I'll get to finally meet my husband's family in person - a much overdue tradition after Skyping them into our wedding almost five years ago. We'll be gone for around a month - a privilege that working so much overtime during the pandemic has ironically granted me. And I'm excited! But also, a little nervous? Uncertain? I expect many of the sights and smells I have stepping off the plane will feel familiar. After all, I will once again be attempting to integrate into a place in which I am blatantly an outsider. Not that my Malian family will make me feel that way. In fact, I expect quite the opposite.

That's my bread and butter though in so many of my international experiences - "cross cultural integration" AKA how-to-make-friends-and-build-a-life-with-minimal-social-competence-and-the-charity-of-others. Deep down, I believe I will welcome that lost and humble feeling again, even though this time there's more anxiousness attached to it than the care-free fearlessness (i.e. naivety) of my 19-year-old self who jumped on a plane to Zimbabwe so many years ago alone and only minimal planning (I realize now my parents were saints, let's be honest). 

At least this time, I'll have Gie. 

 So, watch this space guys. I will definitely be journaling, and I will try to post a couple times a week depending on the amount of connectivity we have. Would love to hear your questions and feedback. 



No comments:

Post a Comment