Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nyanga Getaway.

Ahh, Nyanga was AMAZING! Despite being in the Highlands, we caught the World Cup final game at the local "town" (which consisted of a lodge, and some nearby cabins, haha). I thought the Dutch played alright, but I think Spain played shamefully dirty. They are the biggest fakers, throwing themselves on the ground, screaming, and then getting up and running around completely uninjured while the Dutch kept getting carded. It's frustrating to watch such theatrics, especially when Holland was showing some competitive aggressive play, somewhat uncharacteristic of their possession game style.

In any case, the final was fun to watch, although I dozed off in parts because I was so exhausted from climbing Mt. Inyangani!! Mt. Inyangani is the highest point in Zimbabwe at 2593 meters. Least to say, the view was spectacular! Although it was hazy, we could almost see all the way to Mozambique. The landscape looked alot like passing along the backside of the Sierra Nevadas...but without snow of course, ha! We also went and saw Mtarazi Falls, the highest waterfall in all of Southern Africa. SO beautiful. The water pretty much drops off the mountainside and plummets over 1,000 feet to the forest floor below. We stayed 2 nights in Asa's cabin, and spent the evenings cozily snuggled up by the fire, drinking, eating, telling stories...pretty much perfect, hanging out with my favorite people here in Zim. I've really made some great friends.

On another note, I'm SO happy that everything's worked out for spending Christmas with Bert and Monique!!! VERY EXCITED! My program in Jordan doesn't end until the 23rd, so I'll probably fly up to Amsterdam on Dec. 24. Christmas seems so far away, but until then I'll take it a week at a time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment