Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

Made it into Amman this morning around 8am after a completely crazy flight pattern. In fact, I left Harare around 1:30pm on Monday, flew into Lusaka, then onto Addis Adaba where I got to experience a lovely 7-hour layover fending off creepers at the bar, and took off at 3:30am today for Amman. J I can’t believe I’m here. Everything just seems to be going so fast. I almost feel guilty for being so excited about what’s coming next. Yes, I’m sad to have left Zimbabwe, but WOW. I am PUMPED already for the upcoming months.

I stepped off the plane this morning, only to wait for about an hour at the visa counter, waiting to exchange currencies. It was a rude surprise to discover that $1US is worth only about $0.7JD, so $150 materialized into only $103. Boo. Anyways, I was helped by an incredibly handsome Jordanian (with piercing blue eyes!), got my visa and headed out to grab my bags. Feeling like a donkey, I stumbled out and snatched a taxi from Ahmed, a nice older man in his 60s with graying temples contrasting against his dark skin. He gave me a ride in which I barely escaped death multiple times. First impression: Jordanians are CRAZY drivers! After exchanging greetings and formalities (in semi-Arabic I might add), Ahmed asked me: (1) are you traveling alone, and (2) are you married? I had to laugh…so predictable! J Upon finding out that I was alone AND single, Ahmed proceeded to try and set me up with his 28-year old son! HA! We took the rest of the ride in relatively comfortable silence, my face pressed against the window, admiring our drive into Amman, the city built on 20 hills.

Now, I’m lying out on the top bunk in a cozy, four-bed room in Farrah Hotel. My roommate, Elizabeth, is from Italy. I’m going to take a nap, and later I think we’re going to go out and walk around town, maybe grab some drinks and dinner. It’ll be nice to have a buddy my first night here while I get more comfortable. Until then, I’m exhausted. Time for sleeeeeep.

[Later]

Elizabeth and I had a great time tonight. We were moved out of our room by two British blokes, but it was no problem. She and I then went out to Books@Café, and lounged around drinking mint lemonade and chatting for about five hours. Delightful! May I say that already I have developed an incredible affinity for fresh mint lemonade? I think it’s positively the BEST thing one can drink, (except for maybe mango juice), especially when it’s so hot outside! Absolutely refreshing! I could definitely go on a mint lemonade diet, haha! Anyways, Elizabeth has done extensive work with her NGO to aid Palestinians in their struggle. Secretary by day, advocate by night. She’s unmarried, doesn’t believe in God, and believes that she can actually do some good by helping others. An admirable woman by far. She’s from Genoa. I got her email, so I hope to keep in touch with her. Maybe one day I can go visit her or something. We definitely hit it off very well. J I’m off to bed now. I’m exhausted. I even started dozing off while listening to Monica and Elizabeth chat about their Middle East stories. I love hostels for this very reason: meeting new people, and thus exchanging life stories and worldviews…mostly with other young people. YAY.


No comments:

Post a Comment