Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sara Zvakanaka (Goodbye!) Zimbabwe. It's been real.

Here's some snapshot impressions that I hope will be able to remind me of the good memories and experiences when I miss Zimbabwe most.

Things I'm going to miss about Zimbabwe:
  1. The crazy combie drivers
  2. All my uncles, aka. Joseph, Jonathon, Courage, James, and Davis (drivers)
  3. Hearing Nick giggle while at the consular window
  4. The constant aroma of B.O.
  5. The sting of smoke from burning trash
  6. Full cream milk, and plastic cheese. Ew.
  7. My badge with American eagle holograms
  8. Zimbabwean accents and phrasing tones; Ex: “So you thinking about going out tonight? Well let me know when you’re ready, hey?” J
  9. Teasing Hector, and Hector whining about wanting to gain weight. I still owe him a cheesecake for Christmas…
  10. Living in a 4-bedroom, 3 bathroom, swimming pool, backyard bar, and tennis mansion. Yeah, and also walking around almost naked because no one could ever see through or over that big concrete wall.
  11. Getting up at 5:59am to let out the security guards. FUN. Not.
  12. Guava juice!! Yummy and lots of good fiber.
  13.  Rooibus tea (because you rarely can get coffee to go)
  14.  How everyone wears suits and dresses nicely
  15. The odd weekend business hours – virtually non-existent
  16. SPAR!!! So much selection from so little.
  17.  Fiery orange sunsets
  18. AXIOM, the hippest club in town! Also where you can find renaissance art, sculptures, pole-dancing, and creepy older men. And I mean old. Like over 40. What type of guy goes clubbing at 40 anyways?!
  19.  Lori’s amarula coffees obsession
  20.  Deli-licious! ‘nuff said.
  21.  Sticky pans and burned food
  22.  Triton gym (and the Rhodie Chris who couldn’t take a hint and stop hitting on me every second. Shouldn’t sweat and headphones be enough to keep them away?)
  23.  Sharing a tent with Gretchen at Mana Pools. That woman’s laugh is contagious!
  24. ZESA – oh how can I live with electricity? Boo.
  25. Storytelling to and from work with the drivers
  26. Women carrying baskets on their heads
  27. “Just now” or “now now” time – like island time, but slower, if you can believe it.
  28. Trash strewn everywhere
  29.  Georgina, Tatenda, Amon, and little son; 8 Bassett was just that great.
  30.  Sara’s crazy driving and explicit language. Oh, and most definitely her cat stories J
  31.  Axa and his four Jeep 4x4s…just in case.
  32.  Braais please!! Lots of heart attack inducing, red, bloody, barbequed meat! YES.
  33.  Sadza, because Zimbabweans can’t go a day without it.
  34.  Noreen and how she couldn’t stop laughing and bringing up a funny wedding story I told at lunch one day. She spoiled me with lots of free food…especially samoosas.
  35. Diplomatic Social Club @ Amanzi’s
  36.  Ambassador Ray’s walk out with EU and other Western delegations at Mugabe’s sisters’ funeral after being told to “Go to Hell.” It was especially funny when a Zim reporter asked the German ambassador where they were going, and he responded, “Well, we were told to go to Hell, so we’re trying to find it!” Diplomacy at its finest.
  37.  Camping in Nyanga with Asa, Jayke, Kirsty, Stan, and Max.
  38. Making out under the most amazing starry sky I’ve ever seen in my life. It almost distracted me, ha!
  39.  Hanging out with crazy Marine boys. Ray, with his southern drawl is my favorite.
  40.  SoCo and lemonade at Blue@2 with Roger and Danielle!
  41.  Getting lost around town because its pitch black and streets are poorly labeled.
  42.  Don’t forget the potholes!
  43.  Msasa trees are so cool. So are Baobab trees.
  44.  I’ve learned more about animals and ecology in the last few weeks than I have since the days when I worshiped animal planet.
  45.  Hanging out with Erin and having to take the backseat in a conversation. Finally, I’ve found someone who likes to talk more than me J
  46.  The pelvic thruster machine, dust angels, and Asa’s 5-minute monologue in the kitchen using the oven gloves as puppets.  Other people’s hangovers are so entertaining!
  47.  Did I mention burning trash? Ew.
  48.  Enlisting my security guard’s help at hacking at my avocado trees one night to get a single, scabby, unripe avocado.  I didn’t tell him it was too awful to actually eat it, lol.
  49. Having to go to Zimbabwe to find a boyfriend. Who would’ve thought? J
  50.  My consular family! Jim, Hector, Trudee, Lizzie, Virginia, Nick, Esther, and Wayne. I will miss them SO much!

No comments:

Post a Comment